[teacherartexchange] Nick Cave ART - Dance/Performance Art - Soundsuits

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2012 - 17:13:01 PST

Greetings All,

I was at the Cincinnati Museum of Art today. We went to see the Monet
and Picasso exhibit.... My son didn't tell me that Nick Cave's
"Soundsuits" were there. WOW! Since we have seen the permanent
collection several times, I spent most of my time looking at Nick
Caves' work - interspersed throughout the museum. I followed their
"green line" so I wouldn't miss any. The Monet and Picasso exhibits
were good, too.

There isn't much about him on Cincinnati Art Museum's site
(http://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/), but check out Seattle's:
http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibit/interactives/NickCave/index.html
"Meet Me at the Center of the Earth is an invitation to meet the
AMAZING creations that spring out of Nick Cave's imagination. Cave
calls them Soundsuits. We call them a beautiful, joyous, EXUBERANT,
colorful opportunity to explore an ALTERNATIVE WORLD which challenges
conventions and inspires new ways of thinking."

The show at the Cincinnati Museum of Art has the same name. It moves
next to Boise, Idaho.

His suits use all sorts of beautiful stuff - buttons, beads, sequins,
fabrics and more. My favorite ones are the close fitting, bright
colored knits with metal "cages" over them. One had assorted toys
(tops and such), one had ceramic birds (probably my favorite of all),
a couple with metal flowers. I think I recognized some of the knits as
being from some of my discarded tunic sweaters (grin). He does shop
thrift stores.

If you Google Nick Cave art (there is also a musician named Nick Cave
- so do add the word art) - you will find lots of images, information
and video clips (several on YouTube). The nickcaveart.com site just
links to the commercial site (soundsuitshop.com) with stuff for sale.
Check out the gallery site that has a lot of his work.
www.jackshainman.com/artist-images9.html

I saw there were several NY Times articles about his work. That is
probably where I saw him first.

Dance is Art. Enjoy.

Judy Decker