Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: February 13, 2012

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2012 - 11:52:33 PST

One year I did a school+community mural project. We obtained all the
paints free from local hardware or paint stores -- colors that were
mixed but not purchased. The stores donated these since it's hard to
sell small/larger quantities of already mixed colors.

I would offer a theme of recycle or upcycle -- ask for donated
furniture or scour yard sales. Use old clothing to create "window
clothing" or upholster seat covers. Go to maufacturers in yoru areas
and ask for manufactured seconds or usable waste, like wood scraps, or
tubes, or wooden wire reels. Unique objects -- artwork or cultural
pieces -- upon which to base designs...these are in abundance at
second hand shops. If you do this, the only materials to buy are
brushes, and finishes. Even lumber yards or home improvement places
have damaged trim or wood they put in dumpsters...ask when the trash
truck comes and then go the day before!

I put out district wide emails for chairs one year when my
international crafts class was creating 'personal thrones' and we had
some fantastic donations (no stuffed chairs!) that were sculpted and
painted and surfaced, and placed in a suitable environment for
display.

I love San D's ideas for re-designing the teacher's room! Thanks!

Peggy