Re: [teacherartexchange] Tubes: 12" diameter, 10' tall/long

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 10:14:42 PST

Hi, Peggy,

I think you're implying that the students will depict their own triumphs and conquests rather than replicating Trajan's, or create their own personal, 21st century totems, right? I'm traveling in Egypt at the moment on winter break and my eyes have been treated to amazing relief sculptures all over the country. My favorites have been the tomb reliefs to assist the deceased in the afterlife (such detail!) but that might be a bit morbid for teens.

I remember a sculpture assignment from college where we had to take a container of some sort and create a new container for something entirely different--I remember I used carpet tubes but dang if I can remember what I made with them!

Or, could small holes be easily cut with a small handsaw to allow light through (or even from) the tubes? Maybe create a sort of kinetic effect with a tiny motor inside?

Maggie

Sent from my iPad