[teacherartexchange] Tubes: 12" diameter, 10' tall/long

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 05 2012 - 11:58:12 PST

The list is pretty quiet these days so I thought I'd see if anyone
might be interested in applying their creative juices to a purchase I
made last year...

I bought four, ten foot long, 12 inch diameter sonotubes with an idea
for using them in a sculpture class.
(Sonotubes are those heavy duty cardboard tubes for pouring concrete footings.)

My original thought was to create of some sort of relief work >>based
on<< the idea of Trajan's Column(s), using celluclay for the frieze.
There are numerous historical monolithic columns where the relief
tells of history, conquests, and such. We have a gazillion boxes of
celluclay...(Ordered 2 boxes one year and were sent 20! And the
company just said "keep it"!)

Theme: I search for a theme that high school students can >own< and
one in which they can be personally invested.
I've asked students for creative uses for these. Native American
totems are the first thing that come to mind for students.

These four tubes have such potential!
I've cut one in half, just to see what cutting these tubes entails and
how to control that cutting.
I've thought of horizontal as well as vertical formats; singles as
well as a grouping...

What other materials? Where and how to display?

If I make it exterior, it becomes (I think) a bit more than I'm
willing to invest (it has to make it through Vermont winters/ice...)?
We do, however, have a covered 'colonnade' in the front of our school
(I think about five columns) and these sculptures could potentially
hang horizontally between these posts. If that choice is made, then
the sculptural approach/component would be different from the
vertical...

I teach part time: middle school students (6 week rotation program)
and two high school classes : clay sculpture and digital photography.

The mid-winter doldrums have settled into my brain. I am hoping for a
'starter' to get creative questions going for myself and my students.

In advance -- I thank you all!!!

Peggy