Re: [teacherartexchange] Finding Art Teaching abroad

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 02:09:28 PST

Maggie has given some good advice.This is my 11th year teaching overseas - 3rd in India. Recruiting fairs (and recruiting in general) is going on right now, with many of the major fairs having taken place in January and Feb. You will have already missed a number of opportunities, so if you are truly interested in a position for next year, get right on it! Having traveled overseas before is a definite plus - they want to know youíre not going to hightail it out of there on the first instance of challenges, culture shock, etc. Flexibility is key not only to being happy in a job & new country, but also in finding a job. Know what things are important to you - for me, safety, freedoms as a female, and cultural opportunities are important.
There are some countries that have hiring restrictions at 60 and above. I donít recall seeing any lower than that. Salary might be less than what youíre making currently, but you also must consider benefits (i.e. housing, utilities, airfare) and cost of living. In some countries, you can save well over half of your salary, while others you nearly have to dip into savings to teach- particularly so in Western European schools.

All the best, and if you have further questions, feel free to contact me.

Melissa