Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] Finding Art Teaching abroad

---------

mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Feb 19 2011 - 15:21:35 PST

Hi, there (aren't you Eileen?),

You need to start immediately. There are openings available but the recruiting season has already started. Register with an organization like Search Associates, ISS, or TIEonline to have access to their databases. I've been searching for a new position myself, after teaching English for three years in Ecuador; I would love to teach art again! I was actually offered the position of department head at a school in Bahrain, but I don't think that's the country for me (no, it had nothing to do with the protests; I'm an outdoorsy kind of person and just not into shopping). I thought I had nailed a position in Malaysia but they hired someone else. Don't count on Europe; everyone wants to go there! Eastern Europe might work, and there are openings in Asia and the Middle East. You have to be willing to be quite flexible geographically.

I'm registered with Search and have liked their database; you can search by country, grade level, or teaching subject. Each school's page details the salary, housing, insurance, benefits, etc. There are currently 35 positions available for art teachers.

Our fellow listserver Melissa Enderle has been teaching internationally for ten years or so, but in the tech field.

Good luck!

Maggie