RE: [teacherartexchange] Question Standardized Assessment

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2011 - 07:55:04 PST

to Sidnie's point about assessments for the arts and merit pay:

I have posted before about doing "before's" and "afters" with regard to what lessons you will be doing so I won't repost that idea...

I think it is a visual assessment (the befores and afters) that are hard to deny....

that said the "assessment possessed" will most likely want standardized written tests for assessments. We had developed a common one for every course we taught, with an individualized (for the teacher's teaching method) component. So for example our Foundations in Art exam was multiple choice (all the same), short written answers (all the same) and a hands on component (different according to the teacher). What that requires though is that everyone teaching the same course have a dialogue on what is knowledge is important and essential for each student to gain by the end of the course. We used our State's standards as a benchmark. We also had designed our courses that one piggybacked onto the other, so we could hopefully see some progress with our students who took the sequence.

As I have posted in the past, should there be a committee forming in your school, or ANY imput solicited by your state, union, organization, principal, etc. make sure you voice your opinion. No one, and I mean no one, will stand up for the arts if you don't.

San D