[teacherartexchange] Question about Working Conditions

---------

From: watercolorwiz (watercolorwiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 22:00:36 PST

This is perhaps a more general education question, but a personally interesting
one for me right now.
In my state, legislators are pressing for the complete repeal of tenure, as well
as our current law allowing for teachers to be represented by professional
associations (unions). States surrounding Tennessee-like Georgia, Kentucky,
Virginia and North Carolina--are being touted by these legislators as not
needing this representation.

I am very queasy, honestly, about this. So, for those of you who are in public
schools and who have gone from bargaining working conditions to not, what is
life like for you now? (I guess that my fear is I'll go from a 12 hour day to
much longer, and that my job requirements will explode.)

Thanks to the rest of you on the list for allowing me to ask this non-art
question. If you'd prefer to, feel free to e-mail me off list.

Maggie in Tennessee