Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: February 12, 2011

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2011 - 07:24:34 PST

RE: Elem. prep. time (again)
Marvin---your response was so insightful, as this is an issue at our
school, too. But, I am hoping that you can go into more detail on "The
teacher does not design the work..."I do not like art work to look the
same, and try to facilitate students coming up with their own ideas
and solutions, but teaching a large amount of students (nearly 700)
with supply limits and definitely storage issues, what do you do? I
try to balance something pricey, like printmaking, with a zero-budget
item like working with recyclables, but also have to do a grade level
paper-based project (that will fit in my class drawers) with another
grade level's sculpture project (storage issues, like my kiln room IS
the storage room so no clay can be done during a sculpture unit).
Plus, if classes are back-to-back with no prep time in between, I try
to have "like" media out (e.g. paint in small cups on trays) for
"back-to-backs" even if they are different grade levels. I love your
website and have used your observation drawing exercises in the past,
yet even at a young age, experimental stuff gets panned in student
feedback/exit polls.

L.Girbino

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates