Re: [teacherartexchange] fundraising

---------

From: Barbara Marder (marder621_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 07:33:30 PST

My school does not allow candy, cookie, cake sales. We have a shape up program in place that has included a change in school breakfast and lunch menus. More fruits and veggies are included and no fried foods or junk foods. Yams are used instead of white potatoes. The shape up program has affected my own psyche, and I myself am exercising more and have lost 30 lbs, so I am grateful for the change.

As a result fundraisers involving food are prohibited.

Last year I was seeking field trip money, and I got permission to sell unclaimed art projects from the previous year. The ceramic items were popular and I created tables with your choice $1 signs during PTA back to school night. I also sold greeting cards from kids' artwork and got the printing donated from a local company-that was years ago but still have some inventory left. It was labor intensive since 7,000 cards were not collated. At that time I need to purchase envelopes and got them wholesale since an envelope company was near my school. It is an urban K-8 Title 1 school. I have scour every possible avenue of funding to provide my students with the same cultural programs as the wealthy suburbs.

Fundraising is very challenging, but last year my students raised $700 for Haiti relief. I got hundreds of leftover buttons from First Night (a Boston tradition-New Years citywide gala event) and coated them with gesso. Kids made mini collages with magazine photos and paint and plastic jewels. We pinned each one on an index card with the student's name and a little message. They were sold in and out of school, and the project was written up in the local newspaper. That article generated more sales. The cost of the project was minimal, and the rewards were great.

Barbara from Boston