RE: [teacherartexchange] fundraising?

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2011 - 16:35:16 PST

If you want to make big money fundraising you need big ideas that take a lot of time to execute.
Over my years of teaching I have had fundraisers (not for supplies but for "class of's"). I will tell you what I did:

1. Sold cold water afterschool from iced cooler chests to athletes (we didn't have a water machine at the time). This was ongoing.

2. Ran a 24 hour overnight volley ball marathon, where students had to pay to enter their teams, and there was a cash prize. Need cooperation and coordination of school,police, and gym teachers. We established a theme, students had to name their teams to fit within the theme, and we set up a huge schedule board, plus a board that looked like a playoff board to get to the winners. We wristbanded everyone coming in, got permission slips from parents that no one left event, and everyone brought sleeping bags. Needed: lots of chaparones, and an emergency squad as well as security. Theme: Down the Shore (we are in New Jersey), everyone came in bathing suits, brought surf boards, large beach balls, towels, etc.

3. Painted the windows in teachers' doors for the "seasons" and "holidays". We came up with a selection of designs that teachers picked from, and painted them using predrawn patterns (that were moveable from one window to another, and used year to year).

4. Paper mache bowls. We papermached bowls over balloons, then painted them, then auctioned them. Made $300 on our first sale.

5. At Christmas time we made ornaments out of clay, sold them.

I once worked in a home for delinquent girls, prior to teaching, and we made a ton of money with our annual 3K run (not sure of the distance, this was many many many moons ago, home is now closed) which was coordinated with the local runner's club (who helped run it). Requires lots of planning and cooperation with police, the town, emergency squad and runner's club. Every year the run brought in minimum $2,000 with matching funds from local companies.

Anyway, there is no quick fundraiser that I know of. There is only so much candles, wrapping paper, candy and t-shirts that people in a community will buy. You need to come up with an out of the box idea that will work for your community.

San D