RE: [teacherartexchange] Quick Center system

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2011 - 11:44:33 PST

Back in the day when I taught pottery, I divided the class up into the A team and the B team. The A team did handbuilding while the B team did the wheel. At the end of the allotted time the team's switched assignments. Everyone learned how to work with clay (the standard demonstration for handbuiliding and wheel throwing), and everyone was paired with a buddy. (they chose their pairings). So two kids per wheel, and one was the coach while the other one threw on the wheel, and they switched. Everyone learned how to center the old fashioned way (I have a certain way of teaching it, with code commands that each kid would say to the other, i.e. "elbows down on your knees", "keep your head centered over the wheel", "push and hold", "release your hands slowly"). The pairings worked beautifully. I would post the assignemnts for both the A and B teams up on the bulletin board, and they could do them in any order they wanted, as long as they were done by the deadlines. So for example on the wheel throwing list it MIGHT say:
Bowl
cylindar
lidded t-pot with handle
all must have feet.

and on the handbuilding side it MIGHT say
three pieces with the same theme that have slap, coil and pinch.
Animal t-pot
a piece of clothing that when hung on the wall looks real.

Of course these assignments were for a class called "ceramics" and if you have ceramics as only an experience in one of your classes, everything would be shortened.

oh, and each pair of kids would have their own spackle bucket (you can get free ones at bakeries usually, but a lot of stuff like litter come in buckets now a days) with a plastic bag an clay in it. They were in charge of recycling their own clay (I demonstrated that) and putting it back in their spackle buckets with the lids on. No more just taking new clay because they wanted to.

San D