Re: [teacherartexchange] ArtStor database - do the Trial Offer

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 07:00:51 PST

Greetings Donna (and all),

I just checked out ArtStor. It is difficult to determine what fee your
school would be charged. They base fees on three different criteria. I
highly recommend doing the Trial offer first (I couldn't see any way
for an individual to get a trial view).

This sounds like a great way to get high quality images without the
risk of landing on a "naughty site". As many of you have found out -
"naughty people" grab up defunct art sites and post porn or other
naughty stuff there (I found this to be true particularly with African
Art sites that went under - Looks like ArtStor may have great African
images - based on their home page featuring Dogon dancers.). One
always needs to check links first before taking students
there.....Check from home the night before - then at school before
your classes get online.

Fee sites that I checked in the past have not been worth the expense.
I have no way to check this site out as I am retired. Schools can sign
up for a trial offer. That is the way to go.

Once you sign on, post a review to the list so others will know.
ArtStor is "new-to-me". I just checked it out today.

Regards,

Judy Decker

Note: As always, if anyone posts a reply, remember to remove my email
address before you click "Send". Your efforts to remove email
addresses will reduce the amount of Spam we all receive. I don't like
ANY form of Spam......Apparently, my Mom didn't either... Spam was not
served at my house. Last summer, my pastor wanted a can of Spam for
the worship table. One can?! Surely he didn't know me well enough. One
would never do (Spam-a-lot!). I bought a whole bunch of them! -- but
got permission from the store to return them after church (I told them
to jack up the price for the "Holy Spam"). I returned all but one can.
The pastor's 2 girls wanted to have a taste of Spam. Don't think they
cared for it either.