[teacherartexchange] Was Mona really a man?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 05:51:19 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Many of you will remember the stories and overlays a few years back
comparing Mona Lisa to the face of da Vinci. Now there is a theory
that Mona is a composite including features of da Vinci's apprentice
boy friend.

>> The Mona Lisa, may be a painting of a male apprentice according to researcher Silvano Vinceti. Apprentice Gian Giacomo Caprotti (also known as Salai) “was a favorite model for Leonardo,” Vinceti announced at a press conference. “Leonardo certainly inserted characteristics of Salai in the last version of the Mona Lisa.”

It might be fun for your students to look at paintings that are known
to feature Salai (well documented) and compare to "Mona". See what
conclusions they come up with. There was a student created web site
years ago on the Leo/Mona theory.

"Mona" probably has many faces.... as I believe Leonardo altered her
over the years to be his "ideal beauty".

Regards,

Judy Decker

(as always - when you post replies, remember to remove member email
addresses before you click "Send").