Re: [teacherartexchange] NAEA Conference

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 15:11:22 PST

Hi Cheri,

Here are my tips:

Study the online convention program and pick your sessions in advance
Have a backup plan in case your first choice session is full or canceled. If you have
names of favorite presenters check the index.

Try not to schedule too many sessions to make time for friends and colleagues

If you want to visit with friends and colleagues take a break around the lounge area and
grab your friends as they go by.

Don't miss the Exhibitors Hall to get free or discounted materials and resources.
Bring an empty suitcase or box and mail it back to yourself so you do not need to
take it back with you on the plane.

Take the opportunity to visit with others and make new friends. Exchange business cards
and stay in touch during the year when you really hit it off with someone.

Get breakfast and lunch food at local grocer/deli to eat in your room to reduce cost

Eat out at dinner/supper with friends. Enjoy the night life.

Bring a blank journal with you to record ideas, inspirations, make drawings and get
names/addresses/emails of contacts.

Plan to take a nap once in a while to restore your energy. Drink lots of water to
help hydration and help you keep up your energy.

Arrive early to sessions to get a good seat

Sit next to the door in case the session is not what you thought it would be and be
able to leave on time to get to your next session early.

Get business cards of presenters you want to contact later...write a note on
the back about the presentation

Review PowerPoint presentations in advance on the NAEA web site to see if this
is something you want to attend (Some presenters made PowerPoints available)

Keep in mind Day sessions will be at the convention center which requires walking
over via some kind of bridge over pass. Evening sessions are at the main hotel.

Some of the best sessions have been in the evening.

Don't miss the Awards Ceremony of the Woman's Caucus...3 hour event that all
people must attend.

Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Bring clothes for different types of weather.
Wear layers of clothing.

Bring a change of clothes in overnight bag that you take on plane in case your luggage
is lost temporarily.

Buy small sample size shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. to keep luggage down.
Some airlines charge now for each bag.

Check the security procedures at your airport. Some security procedures have changed
due to the event that happened on Christmas.

Bring a laptop to enjoy the PowerPoint presentations while at the convention

Plan, plan, plan and Above all else have fun.

Cheers,

Diane