Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: February 23, 2010

---------

From: Claire d'Anthes (cdanthes_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 25 2010 - 16:43:08 PST

RE: alternative to linoleum

I've used styrofoam lunch trays from Smart and Final, or you can order
sheets of thin styrofoam in various sizes from any of the art
catalogues. You can draw directly on them with a pencil or cut out
shapes. You can also layer tagboard or thin cardboard shapes and glue
them on cardboard, cut shapes out of masking tape or do an abstract
with tape strips, Draw with Elmer's glue on cardboard and let it
harden. I found I usually had to have the students do two coats. We
inked and printed and then altered some impressions with chalk or
watercolor. Then we covered the printing plates with foil and pressed
the foil down around the relief, painted india ink on the surface and
rubbed it off the raised lines. You can use corrugated cardboard and
peel away sections so that some areas are flat and others textured.
They love to make stencils out of overhead transparencies or tag board.
  All cheap and fun.