I do not know how many of you do nylon/wire sculptures as projects, but I wanted to share something I tried this year, and is working quite well.
With 100 students, we used to cut wooden bases for the sculptures then drill holes for wires. This took many hours of our time to do, and seeing many sculptures thrown away in the end of the year was very frustrating. So before we started the project, I asked kids to bring in something to use as a base. The best solution (by far!) was an old hockey puck! Perfect size, shape, and weight. Solution #2 was using margerine or yogurt containers. We would hot-glue the wires through holes punched in the containers, wrap the nylon around the wires, then put the covers on to hold the nylons in place. They are turning out really nicely. If they sculptures tipped, we just took the cover off, and added some old clay scraps I had on hand to weight it down. With the hockey pucks, we just drilled 4 holes into it to glue the wires in.
Another thought we had was to make clay bases in class when we have extra clay left. But we didn't have any extra clay this year!
I just thought any cost/time saving ideas are always good in the budget-cutting times we're in.
Let me know if any of you have done this project with other solutions.