Re: [teacherartexchange] How are your schools cutting back?

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 14:03:36 PST

I teach in a private school and I'm not sure how things are going to
work out for US (I've heard that some small private schools in the
area may be forced to close...), but public schools in Virginia are
going to be in BIG trouble.

Today a friend in a local HS forwarded an email she'd received from
the school superintendent for our County, which outlines some of the
things that might be happening--including the probability of a LOT of
teachers losing their jobs. My friend has years of teaching
experience, but just moved here last year, bought a house, etc. As a
new hire, her job isn't secure at all for next year.

Things weren't looking good before, but now our NEW governor has
announced his budget plan. I was really shocked when I read about
some of the programs he intends to cut:
http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/84601312.html

Right now, I'm not hearing about ANY "really creative" or "positive"
ways to save $$--or to save public K-12 education! :-(

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net