[teacherartexchange] teenage boys thread

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 10 2010 - 17:42:59 PST

I'll start. I have a puppet club that is 17 boys and 2 girls (high schoolers). I call them my "squirrely boys", and when we are in full function, I tell people it is like herding cats. We are preparing for a puppet show for the 19th of this month. Our audience will be elementary school kids. We will be doing a spelling bee. Practice is me laughing and them making puns, dirty jokes, using funny voices, and yes, doing canoodling with the puppets. Out of this chaos comes clean funny entertaining 7 minute shows. Over the years we have done everything from puppet rock shows (complete with instruments and a mosh pit) to the Wizard of Oz in 7 minutes complete with mouth and shadow puppets and of course Tonto instead of Toto. We have entertained senior citizens, underpriviledged kids, our community of adults and kids, college kids, and entered our local Teen Arts Festivals in the drama section. And all during the practices I have prayed that something would come out of the chaos, and so far in 6 years, it has. (sighs of relief always goes up because they are mic'd during the shows too! Yowzer!). I like to live on the wild side!

San D