Re:[teacherartexchange] HS Sculpture Ideas

---------

From: Barry Beach (bbeach_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 03 2010 - 15:18:27 PST

Hello Kim-

I'm a first-year high school teacher, and have used some 3D projects
to date that worked well for me. I basically have no place to do real
sculpture projects (carpeted rooms and no sink!) so these were
improvised to use in a clean room - and are cheap!

1. Students used black pipe cleaners to create a shoe twice original
size but modeled on the one they wore the 1st day we began the
assignment. Students have to measure all around their shoe to find
where the connections are to make - where heel meets side, front of
laces begin, etc - then use sculpture to put together the measurements
in 3D. As an intro to this project, they drew their shoes at actual
scale (not double).

I found it worked great for students relatively new to art/sculpture.
It also as a bonus took several days (our class schedule is block- two
days block & one regular day each week) to complete and taught
measurement/translation skills as well.

2. Students used Bristol board (thick paper or lightweight cardboard
may also work) & regular scotch tape to construct their own 3D shape.
It had to have at least 6 sides and had to be more complex than a
cube. It's best to use a 1/4" to 1/2" tab along each edge to best
connect each piece - usually this is folded at a 90 degree angle to
cleanly join to tape. (If this doesn't make sense I could probably
find a photograph of a project).

However, I didn't make students use angles other than 90 degrees
(though some decided to). The shapes varied from too small (5 x 1 x
1/2") to pretty large (8 x 10 x 12"), so I should have given minimum
size requirements. That said, it worked pretty well.

Then, students drew a two-point perspective of the object at a 3/4
view (to highlight the sculptural element) and drew an imaginary
landscape around it, using scale to make their object appear much
larger in the drawing than it really is. I tied this to the two-point
perspective drawings we just did prior.

3. I also read a cool project on-line where students used multiple 3,
5, 6, or 8 sided shapes & connected together to create a sphere. It
was folded using the tab method I used in project 2, but the fold
could be on the outside rather than hiding on the inside, so that the
full sphere could be constructed more easily.

Hope this helps!
Barry Beach
Valley International Academy
Sunnyvale, CA