Re: [teacherartexchange] question about clay slip

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 12:29:17 PST

Hi Tina, I would definitely play with it.
I bought some molds when I picked up my clay and just use them as an
example of how to do it. I find that when a part breaks off or sticks to
the mold, it's hard to form the slip to repair it. It would be better if it had something
added--not sure what. ( I want to say fiber--too much diet planning!) I would
go out and get some natural clay from a hill out of town and sift that into the slip. Why
don't you try some sand? If you have ever heard of gardeners in your area complaining
about clay soil--go get some!

>>> Tina Vercelli <tvercelli@ardmore.k12.ok.us> 2/2/2010 8:27 AM >>>
I inherited 28 boxes of clay slip when I started my job here two years ago.
I didn't give it much thought at the time other than the fact that it took
up space in my storage room.

Now with our budget frozen, I'm wondering...If I let it dry out, would I be
able to use is as clay? If you water down clay you get slip, so it stands to
reason that if you dry out slip you would have clay, right?

If it worked I would save some money by not buying clay this year, some time
going to pick clay up an hour away, and make more room in my storage!

Comments or suggestions?

TinaV