Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: January 30, 2010

---------

dlang_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 05:56:11 PST

In a subject area like math or science, grades based strictly on
participation and behavior would be entirely unacceptable and if we
really are teaching art, then it should be unacceptable to give those
kinds of grades in art as well. Lois brings up some very good points
and makes some very good recommendations. If you are assessing a
students art learning on something as simply observational as
participation or behavior, then in my opinion you are doing a
disservice to your students. Assessment in the arts should not be
controversial, it should be well planned, valid, reliable, and based
on your curriculum, and none of that needs to be overly complex or
complicated.

Dave