[teacherartexchange] New Exhibit - Albuquerque's Alvarado Hotel

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 18:04:33 PST

Even if you can't be in Albuquerque to see this exhibit - you should
know about it. I featured Albuquerque's Alvarado Hotel on my blog for
2/23.
I also included (on my blog) a link to the teachers guide which you
my want to download.
                                                                        Woody

Monday mornings docent training was on the upcoming exhibit on
Albuquerque's Alvarado Hotel. Sadly it was torn down years ago. This
jewel of the Fred Harvey Hotels was built in 1901. Fred Harvey’s
chain of Harvey House restaurants and hotels traced the Santa Fe
Railroad’s expansion westward in the 1870s. For nearly a century,
Harvey's company served good food at reasonable prices in clean,
elegant restaurants to the traveling public throughout the Southwest.
They also brought civilization, community and industry to the Wild West.

Jewel of the Railroad Era - Albuquerque's Alvarado Hotel - March 8
through June 7, 2009

As the rails moved west, Harvey rose higher in the railroad business,
but he never forgot his roots as a restaurateur. Given the sorry
state of eating establishments for train travelers in the day, Harvey
realized rail passengers needed quality food service on their
journeys. Harvey’s association with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe
Railway led to the development of several eating houses on an
experimental basis. At its peak, this first-ever restaurant chain
included 84 Harvey Houses, all of which catered to wealthy and middle-
class visitors alike. The chain’s “Harvey Girls,” waitresses dressed
in plain black uniforms with crisp, white collars and aprons, were
the signature feature of Harvey House lore. Trained to handle hungry
crowds of rail passengers quickly, efficiently and politely, the
Harvey Girls became a symbol of the restaurant chain’s respected
reputation.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

Read My Blog: