[teacherartexchange] More reflection on using metamorphosis as an art theme

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2009 - 05:57:54 PST

More reflection on using metamorphosis as an art theme...

I also use this as a topic for generating student work in my Drawing I
class. I use it as an alternative assignment to a composite / pattern
drawing assignment that I created a number of years ago as an end of quarter
project in order to help students become more creative in their approach to
the making of their artwork as well as become more focused on the
exploratory process that they need to be engaged in while doing the work as
opposed to simply setting their sights on the finished product. Either
assignment does just that as there is no knowing in advance what the outcome
will be but rather there is an engagement in having to reflect on making
choices and decisions along the way as to what they are selecting to
incorporate in the creation of their compositions. We talk about such
things as visual metaphor, contrast, the deliberate use of the elements of
art and the principles of design, medium selection, compositional space,
effectiveness of image, etc.

I also have powerpoints created for each of my assignments which help to
generate ideas and discussion about the work. Other student work is
included in these presentations as well as examples of historically
important and contemporary artwork that they should also be aware of.

The rubric that I use to assess the metamorphosis compositions with is as
follows:

Metamorphosis Composition

Success of Image Selection & Placement
4
. A very high level of creativity is evident in the selection of the
images
. The image is extremely effective due to its placement in the
composition
3
. A good level of creativity is evident in the selection of the images
. The image appears to be effective due to its placement in the
composition
2
. Some creativity appears to have been utilized in the selection of
the images
. The image is somewhat effective due to its placement in the
composition
1
. An emerging sense of creativity in evidence in the selection of the
images
. The effectiveness of the image is uneven in the composition in
regards to its placement in the composition

Successfulness of Transformation
4
. There is considerable range and creative skill displayed in the
transformative steps of the subjects selected for use in the composition
3
. A wide range and good technical skills are displayed in the
transformative steps of the subjects selected for use in the composition
2
. Some range and skill is shown in the transformative steps of the
subjects selected for use in this composition
1
. There is an emerging level shown in terms of both the skill and of
the understanding of the transformative steps of the subjects
selected for use in the composition.

Overall Success of Composition
4
. A high degree of skill is shown in the use of the material
. Exceptional color / value sense is demonstrated in the composition
. A high degree of excellence is demonstrated in the drawing of the
images
. Considerable care is shown in terms of the neatness of the execution
of the composition
3
. Good skill is shown in the use of the material
. A good sense of color / value use is demonstrated in the composition
. Good skills are shown in the drawing of the images
. Care was given to the overall neatness / appearance of the finished
piece

2
. Some skill is visible in the use of the material
. Some understanding of color / value usage is demonstrated in the
composition
. Some skill is evident in the drawing of the images
. Some care was given to the overall neatness / appearance of the
finished piece

1
. There is emerging skill shown in the use of the material
. There is an emerging understanding of color / value shown in the
composition
. There is emerging skill shown in the drawing of the images
. There is an emerging level of care shown in the overall neatness /
appearance of the finished piece