Re: [teacherartexchange] metamorphosis

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 06:30:12 PST

Mindy Moore wrote:
>I do a project with my 11th graders, I call it Morphisms, similar to what Judy has done. I write down names of people, place, things on little pieces of paper and throw them into 2 hats (A&B). Students pick one from A and one from B...A morphs into B. They find the objects/items that they have to draw and have to do an exact drawing of the 2. Then the morphing happens. It's one of the ways that I bring them to abstracting. They do the morphims on 8 4x6 cards and then glue them onto long cardboard strips so you can easily view the morphing. They love it and it's amazing to see their creativity.

I like the creative thinking learned as we morph two or more disparate subjects. It brings to mind many artworks that are evocative because the artist has included unexpected juxtapositions.

Does anybody have ideas to help students learn to generate their own original subject matter for projects that feature unexpected juxtapositions? Does it take a lot of class time? Are their ways to inspire and prepare their subconscious minds to work on this outside of class for a few weeks before the project starts? I frequently get these ideas while I am sleeping, eating, driving, walking, etc. Are their ways that we can get student minds to do this? What would happen if we kept random selection process (2 hats) as a backup system for those who neglected to be prepared with their own ideas on the day the project starts? Does it help to use a rubric that gives more points if they develop their own unique and original content ideas and juxtapositions?

Marvin