Re: [teacherartexchange] Need ideas: concept - STRUCTURES

---------

From: S Train (strain_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2009 - 05:38:27 PST

When I do sculpture with my HS, I like to find examples from our city
(I create a PowerPoint). They get so excited to see ones that they
recognize from the local shopping mall, etc. It gets them to start
looking at their environment differently.

What about an internet treasure hunt for the world's tallest
freestanding building (does the CN tower in Toronto still hold this
record) etc. with different structures? Or outside of class, they
could do the same thing sketching different structures that they find
on one weekend...

When I was a kid at an art camp, we started a construction paper city
that was very futuristic and ended up using the walls, ceilings,
coming off the little table, etc. (this wasn't an official camp
activity, just something that took on a life of its own and I still
remember the excitement as it grew!). Perhaps you could have them
construct something similar?

This sounds like it'll be an interesting lesson - please share! :-)

Shayne