re:[teacherartexchange] trademark/fair use.

---------

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 06:55:28 PST

The world is getting sadder and sadder when we can't use icons for artwork. Andy Warhol is probably rolling over in his grave.

Dear Teachers,
 I have a class that just completed Pop Art snack bags like the ones demonstrated in the Papier-Mache Pop Art Video by Peggy Flores. My class
made giant size M&M bags, Dorito's bags, Hershey Bars and others. They
seemed to realy get into this project! I am wondering if the educational values of the project ( study of proportion, lettering, color mixing )
and talking about copyright and trademark is enough to make this okay ?
Peggy didn't say she got permission to demo her Sugar Babies package.
I did a google search and found a passage that stated that stated that students may use copyrighted material for educational purposes. The
only thin I found on Trademark was thar it was okay if it is used in a
parody. Do you think we need to spoof the names of our products? They
are really cute. I wanted to show case them in an up coming newspaper
article, but not if it gets us in hot water. What do you think ?
Thanks for your help,
Sharon

Donna Pumphrey
Harmony/Union Grove
Art
+ I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.-Georgia O'Keefe

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---