[teacherartexchange] Pop Art Trademark Question

---------

From: shinds (shinds57_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 19:01:45 PST

 Dear Teachers,
 I have a class that just completed Pop Art snack bags like the ones demonstrated in the Papier-Mache Pop Art Video by Peggy Flores. My class
made giant size M&M bags, Dorito's bags, Hershey Bars and others. They
seemed to realy get into this project! I am wondering if the educational values of the project ( study of proportion, lettering, color mixing )
and talking about copyright and trademark is enough to make this okay ?
Peggy didn't say she got permission to demo her Sugar Babies package.
I did a google search and found a passage that stated that stated that students may use copyrighted material for educational purposes. The
only thin I found on Trademark was thar it was okay if it is used in a
parody. Do you think we need to spoof the names of our products? They
are really cute. I wanted to show case them in an up coming newspaper
article, but not if it gets us in hot water. What do you think ?
Thanks for your help,
Sharon