[teacherartexchange] new posted pictures

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 14:20:53 PST

I was so excited with my beginning students' (mostly 9th and 10th graders) first drawing lesson that I had to share it with you. This is only my second week with the second semester kids. Last week we concentrated on lines, this week it is shape and form. I had them do a "before" drawing of a pair of scissors. (My husband thinks they throttled back when they drew their "befores", but in as much as I had them draw a "before based on memory, they had nothing to draw from). I then guided the conversation to basic shapes and how all things can be broken down into basic shapes (including the space around the objects..negative space). I then gave them a pair of scissors and a piece of white paper that they had to put the scissors on, and then we talked about looking very carefully, and even using your pencil as a tool for measurement of lengths, proportions and angles. Although we did NOT do the full lesson on value (that is next) we "dabbled" in value because they were excited about learning. Closure was a conver
sation on how drawing from observation gives you a stronger more acurate image. I also sequed into "copying" imagery, copyright infringement, referencing and originality.

San D