[teacherartexchange] In need of some experienced advice

---------

From: tara franzese (artmuse67_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 19:57:17 PST

Hello all:

    I'm in need of some suggestions...I have a demo lesson to teach
for a middle school job in a pretty prestigious school district. Its
going to be for an 8th grade advanced art class. I've got 45 minutes
to teach and the classroom teacher would like me to do something
drawing based. I've taught at the high school level and the
elementary level but never the middle school level, so I'm a little
apprehensive. I've got an idea that I think is pretty good. When I
was student teaching, my cooperating teacher gave a drawing activity
based on Betty Edwards 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' book.
She used it for 9th and 10th graders. She put an upside down slide
into the projector and had the students draw what they saw on 18 x 24
newsprint with charcoal and kneaded erasers. Every 3 minutes or so
she would focus in on the slide, making the image clearer and more
recognizable. She did this until the image was clear and then place
it the right way. She collected the kids work and then had a
critique, explaining how important it was to draw from what you see
and not what you think you see. I thought this would be a great demo
lesson because it teaches an important lesson to students, but I'm
worried that it may be too advanced for 8th graders, even though
they're in an advanced course. What do you guys think, and do you
have any suggestions?

Thanks
-Tara