RE: [teacherartexchange] The ethics/fairness of grading

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 17:33:42 PST

I tell my foundations kids the first day that within a nano second we will all be able to point to the student or students that can draw well. But that doesn't mean that student will be automatically getting an A. I tell them that they each get a grade that evaluates THEIR work based on the rubric WE develop together as a class plus their work ethic, critique contributions, and craftsmanship. My two goals for my classes are that they learn something, and that they support one another, no matter what level they are. I adore that they don't even care what their grades are. I am absolutely giddy when I hear them helping each other with their work. By the time I get them back as seniors in my advanced art class, they are most excited about making strong art statements, and can't wait to get started. They always look forward to class collaborations as well. So, while grades are important as markers on the road, I want the journey to be the most important aspect of making art. I always say if you work at teaching
creative problem solving and process, product will most certainly follow.

San D