Re: [teacherartexchange] grading

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2009 - 11:30:22 PST

JeanE McIntosh wrote:
>. . I am struggling with how to grade art projects. How much do homework
>assignments count and how much do each paintings count?
>Do you actually assign numbers to these projects or are they just pass/fail? . . .

One aspect of fairness in grading relates to growth. A student who starts out very strong can coast and still might expect to get a high grade without learning anything. A student who starts our very low may learn a lot but is often not given much credit because the final work is still not as good as the work of the lazy student who started out very high. Fairness should be explained in advance.

At this page, I write more ideas on grading.
www.bartelart.com/arted/gradingart.html

This page gives a grading rubric you may find helpful.
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/rubric2.html

Marvin