Re: [teacherartexchange] grading

---------

From: S Train (strain_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 15:56:02 PST

Hi Jean.

I've only been at this a few years myself and still struggle with the
subjective nature of art.

Since I teach many special ed students (ranging from giftedness to
developmental disabilities) I give a percentage of marks towards
experimenting. For example, in watercolour, students make a sampler
of different techniques, eg. wet on wet, wet on dry, wax resist, salt, etc.

I also try to break down my rubrics as much as possible, with even a
mark for signing their work (and they still forget!).

There are also marks given for a reflection on their work. I give
them guided questions eg. what do they think is the most and least
successful aspect of their work, etc. If work is based on or in the
style of an artist, they have to compare their work to the artist and
describe the areas of influence, eg. colour, texture, theme, etc.

Shayne