Re: [teacherartexchange] grading

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2009 - 11:21:32 PST

As Trish said, everyone kind of comes up with what works for them, but
regardless of how you weight each category (projects, homework, etc),
rubrics are extremely helpful: both you and the kids understand the
expectations for each project from the get-go.

I teach at a small private boarding school where all students are
required to take 2 fine arts classes (studio/visual art, photography,
music or woodworking) in order to graduate. Some kids come into my
classes with a real desire to improve already pretty impressive
skills, and others are there because they need the credit. I also
teach grade 8 (in a separate class--finally!) through seniors. Our
school has a policy that homework counts at least 25% of a student's
grade.

This is how I've structured the weighting:

8th Grade Art (currently just one semester; other semester is in a
woodworking/crafts class):
Projects: 50%
Homework: 30%
Work Ethic: 20% (This is informally calculated for a weekly grade.
Most kids receive a 95%, but if they've needed reminders to "get
busy," stay in their seat, etc. it will drop. On the other hand, if a
kid is really doing a fantastic job and using time well, it might go
up.)

Art 1(full year, grades 9-12)
Projects: 50%
Homework: 35%
Work Ethic: 15%

Art 2
Projects: 50%
HW: 35%
Work Ethic: 15%

Advanced Art (Art 3-4)
Projects: 60%
HW: 30% (may either be a HW drawing or a blog entry in which they
discuss their work/process)
Work Ethic: 10%

Honors Art (Reserved for students in their senior year who are
seriously working on portfolios)
Projects: 70%
Homework: 30% (may either be a HW drawing or a blog entry in which
they discuss their work/process)

Class time, aside from brief introductions to projects, especially if
linked to a particular artist or art movement, are hands-on. More
in-depth information about artists or art movements show up in
homework reading assignments with questions. (Basically *I* write a
paper and make up questions pertaining to key points, things I want
for them to remember.)

Students also have weekly observational drawing homework assignments.

This is the rubric I use for homework drawings:

0-5: Follows directions
0-10: On sketchbook paper (computer paper is a 5, lined paper is a 0)
0-10: Accurate proportions
0-10: Accurate perspective
0-10: Accurate details
0-10: Use of shading/shadows
0-10: Effective contrast (I encourage bold, strong contrast drawings)
0-15: Craftsmanship/Neatness
0-20: Turned in on time (the due dates for homework drawings are
posted at the beginning of each semester. Each day something is late
results in 10 points off.)

Because I'm in a small school, I write extensive comments on each
homework rubric sheet for each drawing. It's a way to extend and
better personalize the teaching.

Here are a few examples of homework drawings:
http://www.art-rageous.net/ObservationalDrawings-Homework.html

Next year I might possibly increase the weighting for projects for
Advanced and Honors art, but I'm still largely about the process
that's involved in creating rather than just the final project.

Hope this helps!

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net