Re: [teacherartexchange] online databases that are good resources for artwork images

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2009 - 09:16:17 PST

Hi Gaby and all,

In addition to Mark Harden's Artchive:
http://www.artchive.com/ftp_site.htm

The site is full of advertising now - and has pop-ups. An ad free
version is available (for a fee of course) - but don't know if alol of
your school computers could access with one password.

See Carol Gerten Fine Art site:
http://cgfa.dotsrc.org/ (there are several "mirror" sites)
Last time I checked the site was full of advertising. Today, it seems
that just the banner ads are present.

Olga's Gallery:
http://www.abcgallery.com/
Site has banner and Google ads. Used to have Pop-up ads.

All of these sites are from scanned images (scanned from photographs
from books etc). All permit "fair use" of their images. Keep in mind,
that these web masters have not asked permission of copyright
holders/artists' estates for permission to use the images on their
sites. Carol Gerten Jackson has been notified by artists' estates to
remove images over the years. No charges were ever filed. So... my
advice to you is to just use the images you find on line - credit the
source (the original museum source and web site where you found the
image). As long as you are using the images for educational purposed
(in class only) -- and do not use an excessive amount of images for
any one PowerPoint, you are within legal guidelines (look up
guidelines for "Fair Use" of images - so many per artist and so many
per web site for any one presentation). No need to worry about being
in violation of copyright (Yes, many of the images could now be
considered in "public domain" - but many museums now like to have a
say on who uses the images. One of the museums in Europe "came after"
Barry Kite - sent cease and desist - nothing ever became of it though)

Artcyclopedia is a great source.
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/

Regards,

Judy Decker

(If anyone posts a reply to this - do not include my email address)