[teacherartexchange] Claymation Advice

---------

From: Filiz Soyak (filizemmasoyak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 04:16:51 PST

Hello,

I am working with undergraduates in the computer graphics departement
at NYIT in Amman, Jordan. Our students work up to animation skills in
3D Studio Max, but start off with basic studio and hand skills before
moving on to the computer.

I'm teaching 3D Design II this semester and I am planning a
clay-mation project. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried
this before. I have found excellent resources online and on YouTube. I
also am a big fan of and plan to show Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before
Christmas" for my students to study. My goal with this project is to
introduce them to animation concepts but also work with clay
(plasticine) and wire armatures and build upon their hand skills. My
idea is to break them up into teams of 3 or 5 and have each team come
up with a storyline, plot and set of characters. That's one great
thing about the culture of the Middle East. My students are good team
players. Each student will create and be in charge of animating their
own character. Students will share roles of screenwriter, set
designer, director.

Like I said, I have some ideas but any tips, advice or resources about
clay-mation, stop-animation, set design or storyboard illustration
that you have to share would be really appreciated!
Thank you!
Filiz