RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: February 01, 2009

---------

From: Kim Navarre (navarre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 00:33:09 PST

Regarding critiques
I like to mix up critiques to cut down on student boredom and
encourage discussion. One of my students favorites is Class
Exhibition opening. When teaching I talk a greta deal about art
history, philosophy and the artworld as outlined by Berger (curators,
critics, authors, artists, gallery owners, collectors, funding
agencies etc.). I purchase cheese and crackers, and bubbling grape
juice. Each student is assigned a role (a person from the artworld).
They are to think about questions they would ask the artist, curator
etc. ahead of time. We mingle around the work hung on the wall as if
we are at a gallery opening, eating our snacks and playing our roles.
When I taught elementary, I even gave out fake money for the
collectors to "purchase" their favorite art. They had to justify why
they wanted to buy that particular piece and justify the expense. The
kids really love it, are engaged and feel special.

Another idea I've used is after the work is hung on the wall,
everyone walks around with pencil and paper and has to come up with 5
questions for the artist one of which is always, "Was their a
particular artist who you were influenced by"

We also talk about the influence of titling on the piece's
interpretation. Each student is assigned another student's artwork
and then asked to give it a title and explain why they came up with
that title. They are allowed to title it "Untitled" but it must be
justified.

Kim NaVarre
Archbishop Riordan High School, San Francisco