[teacherartexchange] Elementary students/directions/and discipline

---------

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 04:27:10 PST

Do you have a buddy who can watch your class while you take a student to call parents at work or home to explain what they are doing and why they are doing it? I have a cell phone and that helped for me when I was in a similar situation. I figured it wasn't me disrupting class it was them and they needed to explain to parents what they were doing to disrupt class and why they were doing it. If that didn't work , parent conferences with principals/assistant principals in attendance sometimes helps, but calling home is about the only thing that I found that works. You may have to call every day for a bit, but most parents are supportive, and the ones that aren't eventually get tired of it and try to reign junior and junioress in. Also document, document, document. I used to document the behavior, and give a copy to the classroom teacher. They then had that as well as the documentation for their class on a student. I can almost garantee that the same students that are giving you problems are giving the CRT prob
lems as well. Sometimes the CRT appreciates knowing that it isn't just them.

Also you don't say what your Expectations-read rules-are for the class. I assume you have them posted and refer to them as you need to, when the need arises. Does your school have a unified rule system for the whole school? A couple of schools I've taught at had this and it helped. What was a rule in one room was a rule in another.

And I don't think it is a cultural issue, I think it is a societal issue. I have changed schools recently from a "poor comunity school" to one that is "country." I have some of the same issues here as I did there, but they are finding that I don't take stuff, and will make good on my intentions to have control in my class. They also know I care about them and will protect them. Parenting now days seems to me to come with blinders for what many children do, and many children are running their houses. Watch how they treat their parents at PTO. Don't intervene, just sit back and watch. You may be amazed.

Also one technique I use is that I put the word ART on the board. When it gets loud, excessive talking, I erase the A. Loud again-not working, I flip the R. If I flip the T then art is over, we put away the supplies and we put heads down and wait for the CRT to return. Another thing I've done is to have a time out space and seperate the offending student/students. Art for them is over for the day, and they get to draw the rules. In cases where that doesn't work I had a buddy next door that I could bounce a child to, to sit and ponder while the rest of the class went on working. This takes away the "audience factor" which is something no one addresses in the fancy behavior systems that get sold to schools.

I know this is long but I hope it helps. Hang in there.

-Donna <http://www.donnasart.typepad.com>

Donna Pumphrey
Harmony/Union Grove
Art
+ I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.-Georgia O'Keefe

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---