Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: February 17, 2008

---------

From: Robert Carl (carlr_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 03:47:06 PST

Any ideas for elementary students that can't follow directions? I mean that I have 4th and 5th graders that can't even do a 1st or 2nd grade art project, because they talk and do not listen to directions. This seems to be a cultural issue with this african-american community. They for the most part can't pass the state tests (NCLB mandates) each year due to this same cultural issues. We are way behind on what we are supposed to be covering. Discipline is bad and getting worse also. We have had all the workshops on differentiated learning styles, assessment strategies, closing the achievement gap, and empowering black males, etc., Nothing seems to work or be of any real value. All just fluff and ivory tower BS. Can anyone in a similar situation offer some REAL advice and suggestions?

>>> "TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest" <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> 02/18/08 3:01 AM >>>
TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Sunday, February 17, 2008.

1. RE: H.S. Digital photo and computer art class
2. HS digital photo and computer art classes
3. Re: teacherartexchange digest: February 16, 2008