RE:[teacherartexchange] H.S. Digital photo and computer art class

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2008 - 05:49:58 PST

I also teach a similar class but with a bit of a different focus. The class
is called Video Computer Art and combines computer graphic applications with
iMovie / video instruction. The first part of the course is geared to
students (all levels of ability and computer experience), becoming familiar
with the computer as another art-making tool in addition to translating the
traditional vocabulary of art into computer generated images. Initially we
start with Appleworks Paint and Draw (PC version). We move on to working
with online research and having the class begin to create PowerPoints (which
I have them convert all of their projects into as a final grading format),
as a tool to better communicate ideas and concepts that they are exploring.
We also use Adobe Photoshop for 2 different projects in addition to
utilizing the software as a additional way to manipulate stills created in
their iMovie 'photomontage' films which are used as both stand alone pieces
of artwork (and then saved and printed), as well as re-importing those
further manipulated stills back into their video projects. As time allows,
they create a second video that they base around a theme that they develop
in groups. We only have 4 eMacs at our disposal with video editing
capability at this point and so group work becomes the only way I can
approach video at this time.

Here are a list of the projects:
1) Compilation / Presentation of the Elements of Art and the Principles of
Design (using Appleworks Paint and Draw), that explores these concepts
through the creation of drawings, charts and the inclusion of exemplars from
museum resources. Presented as a PowerPoint.

2) Fine Arts Primer (using the internet and PowerPoint), exploring as wide a
range of the 'arts' as the student desires, utilizing the various features
in PowerPoint including the animation and sound capabilities.

3) Adobe Photoshop Effect Manipulations, in which students need to use 3
different photographs representing different subject categories, applying a
set regimen of both single and multiple effects to each image (27 different
effect screens are explored)

4) Manipulated Self Portraits, where students have had their photograph
taken and placed in their building file and then need to manipulate their
photograph in 5 different ways using various effects / tools in Photoshop.
Each of those ways explores a different avenue / concept. The effect
categories are: Historical / Cultural Image, Physical Property Change Image,
Emotive / Expressive Image, Image with Objects Showing Special Interests,
Image with Text

5) Career Exploration Collection, using ArtsConnectEd's Art Collector
feature, students explore a wide range of careers in order to examine where
the art / technology interface occurs in almost all areas in today's
workplace. The collection (which is publishable), is split into 3 sections:
a) a range of different careers with a variety of criteria that need to be
explored b) their 'dream job' with the same criteria applied c) where they
can go to obtain the necessary course work / training to be eligible for
that job. Hyperlinks and images in addition to the text that they have
developed are all part of these collections.

6) iMovie Photomontage video project using pre-shot dv tape and applying
effects and transitions to the film in addition to creating a sound track
and further manipulation of images in Photoshop that are re-imported into
the film.

7) An additional video (also using iMovie), that explores a theme that they
have created, storyboarded, shot and edited.