[teacherartexchange] Mystery Picture

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 15:26:10 PST

Hi, all!
I just wanted to pass along one of those "aha" moments from class this week.

A couple years ago, a student passed away from a congenital heart
defect. He would have graduated this year, and the students are
having a special activity to raise money for the National Heart
Association in his honor on Valentine's day. I was asked to have the
students to create something to give his parents, like a big card or
something. But I'm really bored with making big cards and signs.

I used the Incredible Art Department lesson "History Mystery Picture"
and we made a really neat portrait of the student -- copying his
cut-up photo square-by-square. Each student got to contribute to the
portrait, and it really looks like him! I got chills as I started
piecing the squares together and watching the students realize who
they were drawing. The students really got into the project, too --
even the "slackers." :)

Here's the image if you want to check it out:
http://www.charlestoncatholic-crw.org/Departments/Art/wordpress/?p=28

I can't find the link to the lesson plan, but I have it on my school
computer, so if anybody wants info, feel free to ask. This has always
been a favorite lesson plan of mine, but this was the coolest mystery
picture ever!

Becky
Charleston WV