Re: [teacherartexchange] Rubrics also long

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 12:54:59 PST

Jane reminds of when Standards were introduced and we were TOLD to
show examples of exemplary, proficient, etc......

I cringed and covered my eyes-- How dare we??????? How did we
forget the exploration??????
Here's what I'm working on ( and I stole this from somewhere I
don"t remember where):

When confronted with a problem, I spend time gathering information
about it from several sources:

I ask questions to get more information:

I examine beliefs, assumptions and opinions and weigh use them to
inform my work:

I refrain from making judgements or decisions until I've considered
all options.:

I try to see the merits of others' opinions even if they are
different from mine:

I enjoy finding new solutions to problems:

For this project I

If we are to continue to advocate that art fosters critical thinking
then we MUST ask the thinking questions. More and more my assessment
is about the process and not the product. I teach high school and I
am sick to death of kids with so much to say stifled by conventions
and what they think is expected. I am sick to death of slick
technique over idea. And I'm sick to death of lessons that mimic
instead of asking the "what if" questions.

Patty