Re: [teacherartexchange] Assessment-long

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 11:36:05 PST

SanD wrote at length about assessment and rubrics yesterday. I'm
home early today because of snow and thinking the same. I'm
thinking, because of something that came up with a student this
morning. This student is struggling with a problem. I pose
questions for him constantly and he has yet to resolve his plan.
Today I gave him another BIG QUESTION and he said his solution
wouldn't "fit" the rubric--------- ah yeah you got it! What's
a rubic for? the teacher or the student? what's wrong with the
rubric? where is the place for deviation? do we need a new
rubric? ( my rubrics always include expression/technique/design/
effort/planning and research/impact and presentation/ and "other"
what did you do that doesn't fit the rubric?")
SanD explained at length that a rubric is a teacher-student
collaboration. The only way we will get any place in art education
is to keep them from guessing what a "pleasing " composition is.
And what a weak word pleasing is -- like it's nice. When you have
students play a part in the development of the criteria, then
hopefully they start to understand good,weak or just putting in
time. If they don't "get" expectations, then they guess at what is
expected. They so want to please us. I just want to be sure the
me pleasing pleases them too.

Rubrics are all over the place to steal and copy and amend. Nobody
has to start from scratch like I did when few else were doing
rubrics. I always thought the rubric was a way to give every
opportunity to succeed that wasn't just based on a teacher bias.
Can creative expression equal out poor composition? What do we value
and what do we nurture? My tugboat may take your ship down the river
-- but oops -- how you going to get around that iceberg??

I think it was my hero Marcel Duchamp who said something like ---
without an idea, we are just monkeys with paint brushes

Patty