Re: [teacherartexchange] Inclusion of Special Needs in the art classroom

---------

From: MWhite (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 19:35:34 PST

Cyndi,

Inclusion is one of my favorite topics. The big thing is, concentrate
on what he CAN do, not on what he can't. I too had students with very
limited mobility, but I had them go through the same lessons as everyone
else, making modifications as needed. Usually, they were in my 3D
class, so they were able to use large muscles working with clay, and
develop small muscle control weaving or embroidering.

If you are doing mainly 2D work, he can work with a thick pencil or
marker. If grasping is a problem, try boring a hole through a piece of
sponge foam and slide the pencil or marker through it. Or, Velcro the
pencil to his hand or even arm so he can make marks using large
muscles. Tape paper to a drawing board, then set that up on a sturdy
easel, or lay flat on some rubber shelf liner to keep it from sliding.
Painting is great for using large arm movements. Think of all the Es
and Ps he can illustrate with paint! Once you start adapting tools and
modifying lessons just a little, you'll all be surprised at what he's
able to accomplish.

Good luck,

Maggie