Re: [teacherartexchange] regarding multiculturalism...good read.

---------

From: MWhite (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 12:52:27 PST

>I have a plan to destroy America

by Richard D. Lamm

>I have a secret plan to destroy America. <snip>
>
>1. We must first make America a bilingual-bicultural country. History
>shows, in my opinion, that no nation can survive the tension, conflict
>and antagonism of two competing languages and cultures. <snip>

Lamm is oh-so-right here. However, he forgot to detail how America
overcame competing languages and cultures: the early European settlers,
and eventually the U.S. government, did everything possible to
subjugate, disempower, or outright exterminate the native Americans.
Concurrently, it enslaved millions from yet other cultures, forbidding
them the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, an education,
the right to vote.

Want a more recent example? Iraq under Saddam. He was certainly no
advocate of "diversity," or "multiculturism." Now he's gone, and look
what's happened--Shi'as and Sunnis wanting to control things their way.

>2. I would then invent "multiculturalism" and encourage immigrants to
>maintain their own culture.

While the term may be relatively new, the concept is not. Pul-LEEZE
don't tell me immigrants haven't for generations maintained their
old-country cultures here. Every decent-sized town in this country has
its Chinatown, Columbus Day parades, St. Patrick's Day celebrations, or
other pocket of not-American culture.

>I would make it an article of belief that
>all cultures are equal:

Uh, he's saying they're not?

>Look at the ancient Greeks. Dorf's "World History" tells us: "The Greeks
>believed that they belonged to the same race; they possessed a common
>language and literature; and they worshiped the same gods. All Greece
>took part in the Olympic Games in honor of Zeus, and all Greeks
>venerated the shrine of Apollo at Delphi. A common enemy, Persia,
>threatened their liberty. Yet, all of these bonds together were not
>strong enough to overcome two factors ... (local patriotism and
>geographical conditions that nurtured political divisions ...)"

Dang those local patriots! How have 50 states, all filled with myriad
political divisions and geographical pride, lasted so long as a union?

>7. Then I would place all these subjects off-limits--make it taboo to
>talk about. I would find a word similar to "heretic" in the 16th century
>that stopped discussion and paralyzed thinking. Words like "racist",
>"xenophobe"
>halt argument and conversation.

Or, how did Hitler put it? "Aryan purity?"

Lessee...Stalin was certainly very successful at quashing opinion and
"uniting" Russian, Siberia, Latvia, Ukraine and all those other diverse
cultures into one big happy...Soviet Union. Gorby blew it big time; he
tore down that wall, and the Union split up into all those diverse and
multiethnic countries again.

Or we could cite Mao Zedong for "uniting" all those ethnic groups into a
great leap forward.

Or how about Kim Jung-Il? The North Koreans are all united, though
starving, under their "Dear Leader."

>"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit
>the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within
>that spectrum." -Noam Chomsky, American linguist and U.S. media and
>foreign policy critic.

"Fearful people are more dependent, more easily manipulated and
controlled, more susceptible to deceptively simple, strong, tough
measures and hard-line postures...They may accept and even welcome
repression if it promises to relieve their insecurities." George
Gerbner, former head of the Annenberg School for Communication

Thank goodness we've got Dubya and his Patriot Act lookin' out for us.
And color-codin' our fears.

Have an orange-alert day,
Maggie