[teacherartexchange] regarding multiculturalism...good read.

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 06:01:47 PST

Instead of celebrating black history, Chinese, Mexican and everybody
else's art....

I have a plan to destroy America

by Richard D. Lamm

I have a secret plan to destroy America. If you believe, as many do,
that America is too smug, too white bread, too self-satisfied, too rich,
let's destroy America. It is not that hard to do. History shows that
nations are more fragile than their citizens think. No nation in history
has survived the ravages of time. Arnold Toynbee observed that all great
civilizations rise and they all fall, and that "an autopsy of history
would show that all great nations commit suicide." Here is my plan:

1. We must first make America a bilingual-bicultural country. History
shows, in my opinion, that no nation can survive the tension, conflict
and antagonism of two competing languages and cultures. It is a blessing
for an individual to be bilingual; it is a curse for a society to be
bilingual. One scholar, Seymour Martin Lipset, put it this way: "The
histories of bilingual and bicultural societies that do not assimilate
are histories of turmoil, tension and tragedy. Canada, Belgium,
Malaysia, Lebanon all face crises of national existence in which
minorities press for autonomy, if not independence. Pakistan and Cyprus
have divided. Nigeria suppressed an ethnic rebellion. France faces
difficulties with its Basques, Bretons and Corsicans."

2. I would then invent "multiculturalism" and encourage immigrants to
maintain their own culture. I would make it an article of belief that
all cultures are equal: that there are no cultural differences that are
important. I would declare it an article of faith that the black and
Hispanic dropout rate is only due to prejudice and discrimination by the
majority. Every other explanation is out-of-bounds.

3. We can make the United States a "Hispanic Quebec" without much
effort.
The key is to celebrate diversity rather than unity. As Benjamin Schwarz
said in the Atlantic Monthly recently, "The apparent success of our own
multiethnic and multicultural experiment might have been achieved, not
by tolerance, but by hegemony. Without the dominance that once dictated
ethnocentrically, and what it meant to be an American, we are left with
only tolerance and pluralism to hold us together." I would encourage all
immigrants to keep their own language and culture. I would replace the
melting pot metaphor with a salad bowl metaphor. It is important to
insure that we have various cultural sub-groups living in America
reinforcing their differences, rather than Americans emphasizing their
similarities.

4. Having done all this, I would make our fastest-growing demographic
group the least educated. I would add a second underclass,
unassimilated, undereducated and antagonistic to our population. I would
have this second underclass have a 50 percent dropout rate from school.

5. I would then get the big foundations and big business to give these
efforts lots of money. I would invest in ethnic identity, and I would
establish the cult of victimology. I would get all minorities to think
their lack of success was all the fault of the majority. I would start a
grievance industry blaming all minority failure on the majority
population.

6. I would establish dual citizenship and promote divided loyalties. I
would "celebrate diversity." "Diversity" is a wonderfully seductive
word. It stresses differences rather than commonalities. Diverse people
worldwide are mostly engaged in hating each other-that is, when they are
not killing each other. A "diverse," peaceful or stable society is
against most historical precedent. People undervalue the unity it takes
to keep a nation together, and we can take advantage of this myopia.

Look at the ancient Greeks. Dorf's "World History" tells us: "The Greeks
believed that they belonged to the same race; they possessed a common
language and literature; and they worshiped the same gods. All Greece
took part in the Olympic Games in honor of Zeus, and all Greeks
venerated the shrine of Apollo at Delphi. A common enemy, Persia,
threatened their liberty. Yet, all of these bonds together were not
strong enough to overcome two factors ... (local patriotism and
geographical conditions that nurtured political divisions ...)" If we
can put the emphasis on the "pluribus,"
instead of the "unum," we can balkanize America as surely as Kosovo.

7. Then I would place all these subjects off-limits-make it taboo to
talk about. I would find a word similar to "heretic" in the 16th century
that stopped discussion and paralyzed thinking. Words like "racist",
"xenophobe"
halt argument and conversation. Having made America a
bilingual-bicultural country, having established multiculturalism,
having the large foundations fund the doctrine of "victimology," I would
next make it impossible to enforce our immigration laws. I would develop
a mantra -"because immigration has been good for America, it must always
be good." I would make every individual immigrant sympatric and ignore
the cumulative impact.

8. Lastly, I would censor Victor Davis Hanson's book "Mexifornia" -this
book is dangerous; it exposes my plan to destroy America. So please,
please-if you feel that America deserves to be destroyed-please,
please-don't buy this book! This guy is on to my plan.

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit
the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within
that spectrum." -Noam Chomsky, American linguist and U.S. media and
foreign policy critic.