Re: [teacherartexchange] My overseas job!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2008 - 13:49:58 PST

FYI:
Quito, officially San Francisco de Quito, is the capital city of
Ecuador in northwestern South America. It is located in north central
Ecuador in the Guayllabamba river basin, on the eastern slopes of the
Pichincha [1], an active stratovolcano in the Andes mountains. With
an estimated population of about 2.1 million people as of 2007[2],
Quito is the second most populous city in Ecuador, after Guayaquil.
It is also the seat of the Quito Metropolitan District, home to 2
million residents, and the capital of the Pichincha province. As the
headquarters of the newly-formed Union of South American Nations,
Quito is also the de facto capital of South American integration.

The city's elevation is, on average, 2,850 m (about 9,350 ft), making
Quito the second highest capital city in the world. There is some
confusion about this claim because La Paz, Bolivia, which is higher,
is the governmental capital of Bolivia (where the Bolivian government
functions). However, Sucre, which is lower, is the legal capital of
Bolivia.

Quito is located about 25 km (15 miles) south of the equator. A
monument and museum marking the general location of the equator is
known locally as la mitad del mundo (the middle of the world).

Due to its high altitude and position on the equator, Quito has a
constant, mild to cool climate. The typical temperature at noon is 25
C (77F) with a normal night-time low of 6C (43F). The average
temperature is 15 C (64F) [3]. The city experiences only two
seasons: dry and wet. The dry season, June through September (4
months), is referred to as summer; the wet season, October through
May (8 months), is referred to as winter.

Because of its location at the equator, Quito does not experience
variations in daylight hours during the course of a year. Except for
a few minutes resulting from a slight wobble in the earth as it
rotates, sunrise and sunset are always at 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.,
respectively.

Sounds like a great experience, Woody

On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:32 PM, <kprs2@earthlink.net>
<kprs2@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Congratulations! How Exciting. AND, keep in mind that Quito is only
> a hop, skip and a jump to the Galapagas Islands, which are awesome.
>
> San D

> teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net