[teacherartexchange] Advocacy Ideas from Clyde Gaw

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 15:27:35 PST

>In the TAB usergroup, Clyde Gaw wrote:
>I have a new article from the Art Education Association of Indiana's newsmagazine "CONTACT" <http://www.aeai.org/>http://www.aeai.org/ . You can access the article,
>"Rationale for the Prevention of Future Failures of Imagination" on page 20 of this pdf file. The description of the student at work in this essay is from a boy who is in his third year of choice. My thanks go to Clark who maintains this website and is the webmaster for AEAI.
>See you all soon! cg

I just downloaded this pdf from CONTACT (Indiana Art Ed Assoc. newsletter) last modified: Thursday January 17, 2008. Clyde makes a great case for art in education--especially a Choice based program.

Clyde shows how studio art work helps students form minds. Howard Gardner, in his 2007 book, Five Minds for the Future, says our students need Disciplined minds, Synthesizing minds, Creating minds, Respectful minds, and Ethical minds. Clyde's article articulates and shows much of how studio art classes help students achieve these. He shows an encouraging example of teamwork in the art room.

I encourage all art teachers to read it and keep it handy on your hard drive in case AEAI web site changes. It is the kind of document that we can use to get ideas on how to advocate for art programs.

Marvin
bartelart.com