RE:[teacherartexchange] teaching ELL studetns to value art

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 03:30:28 PST

Hi Gabrielle,
  Is there a translator in your class? I think I
would try to start off the class by addressing this
issue head on. Maybe spend class time talking about
all the things in our world that require an artist or
an eye for aesthetics. I once got a group of 8th
grade boys engaged in the first day of art class by
holding up pictures of all different cars....an old
green chevy with rust stains.....a bright red
corvette...and talked about aesthetics and why are we
attracted to one thing over another? And then we
talked about all the things in our society that have
to be thought up by an artist (fashion, computer
games, the plastic mold that a computer is made out
of, advertising....etc.) We came up with a whole
list. I had them write down one occupation as an
artist that they could NEVER see themselves doing, and
one occupation that might be a "maybe" or a
"definitely". Maybe give that as a homework
assignment right off the bat.
   Since language is such an issue, holding up the
visuals will definitely help. Good luck! Hope this
helps!
Terry on Cape Cod