Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Gray Areas of Jasper Johns (NY Times article w/slide show)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 09:46:24 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Many of you may be interested in this New York Times article about
Jasper Johns exhibit at the Met.

The Gray Areas of Jasper Johns
Article includes photograph of Johns and slide show of selections in
the exhibit.

>>To hear it from curators, gray is not just a familiar color for Mr.
Johns but the essence of a long metaphysical journey, an exploration
of "the condition of gray itself." At least that's the premise of a
sprawling exhibition of his work that opens Tuesday at the
Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

But when pressed on the show's focus, he said simply: "Yes, gray has
been important to me. But I don't tend to think of it as separate from
the rest of my work."

Exhibit - February 5, 2008–May 4, 2008

You might also be interested in this article and slide show of
expressionistic work by Richard Diebenkorn during his stay in New

An Expressionist in Albuquerque
Richard Diebenkorn's progress during his stay in New Mexico is the
subject of a radiant hodgepodge of a show at the Grey Art Gallery at
New York University.

More from New York Times

Judy Decker

To unsubscribe go to